Wednesday, December 5, 2012

it can wait

Twenty-some years ago when Kaelee was born & I began taking her for her regular check-ups, I remember this quote hanging on the wall in the pediatrician's office:

Cleaning and scrubbing
can wait til tomorrow,
for babies grow up
we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs,
dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep.

~ Ruth Hulbert Hamilton adapted by Wendy Lyn 


I've certainly come to appreciate just how true these words really are.  For some reason, Kendi awoke from her nap today much sooner than normal.  When I picked her up, she settled in for a snuggle, & I soon realized she was sound asleep again.  Instead of laying her back down, I opted to plant myself in the rocker & just hold her.   Anymore, these moments with Miss Busy are few & far between.  


Yep, I will continue to treasure these moments, especially when the next moments have me chasing her busy self at Kade's basketball game.  Ahem.  Does all that running count toward my weekly mileage?

2 comments:

Laurel said...

When I had a house FULL of little ones, that was my favorite poem. Someone cross-stitched it for me over 25 years ago. It hung proudly in all of our different houses for many, many years. It is now tucked away in a box, but still a poem that I remember often.

Keep snuggling your Littles. My youngest is now 10 . . . and the grandbabies are coming. I think I just might make this poem into some type of wall-hanging for my daughters and daughter-in-laws. :)

Laurel
mama of 12

Sharon said...

Why do I find it so hard to slow down and move away from my to-do list?!