Monday, December 14, 2009

Signs & Wonders

Okay, seriously, I was originally going to do this post & title it "Sort of a Rant" because I have been really annoyed a few times recently at some reactions we have received when people find out we are expecting our 7th child through adoption. However, I took a breather, switched around a load of laundry, & decided a rant would not make me feel better right now, but focusing on God's truth would. (Disclosure: There may be a day for a rant, so don't blast me if it comes one of these days! A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, ya know?)

Anyway, we were discussing miracles & signs last week in our small group. Do we think God still gives us signs today? Are there still miracles happening? I believe so! I believe as we are walking on the path that God has made for us, we encounter stumbling blocks, confusion, fear, negative reactions (hang on...not going on a rant, just giving some examples!). However, just when I think I must be headed in the wrong direction, or that I'm completely NUTS for going in the direction I am pointed in, time & time again God has given me "signs". They've come in various forms, but ALWAYS undeniably from Him. Here's an example that I was recently sharing with a friend:

With it being Christmas, I think about a journal entry from several years back when I was in a women's group & we were really digging in to our relationship with God in our daily lives. I wrote something like, "I want to be a child on Christmas again; waiting in anticipation & being surprised." I think I had gotten into a feeling of being in a "rut"--predictable, boring-type living. Mind you, this was WAY before adoption entered into the picture. Last year at Christmas, we heard a wonderful sermon that was pretty much about this very thing. I was so excited about it b/c it made me remember that journal entry & to see how God had truly surprised me in my life. I wanted to come home & journal it, but I could not find my journal anywhere. I pulled out the old one that I had used for that women's group figuring I could at least get it written down. When I opened it, I went to my last entry. Get this: the date was 8-6-05...that was EXACTLY two years before Kaya was born. My entry simply stated, "I want to surrender and trust in You."

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

Praising God for His gifts, wrapped in all His beauty & glory, surprising us in ways we wouldn't have guessed ~ Dardi

I guess this was brought to mind again during our sermon yesterday. Our pastor was speaking of the times that life is uncomfortable, but we must "hang on", because the story continues...the moments, however brief (a few discouraging words/reactions) or long, are all part of the story. But the good news is that He is ALWAYS here, in EVERYTHING, & He does provide "signs & wonders" to keep us moving on our way. Notice that the above story takes place last Christmas, & the journal entry was from 2005...4 years ago! Sometimes, the encouragement is not instantaneous, but it does come & how marvelous it is when you can see how God began writing your story before you were even aware of what was to come.

I am a work in progress, folks. But one thing I'm trying to do more is see God's hand in every detail of my life, even the tough ones, because I know that He is not leaving me in one spot. I confess that I have struggled a lot over the years chasing the "American Dream"...I'm praying every day to not be enslaved to my flesh so that I can fully live amidst the story that is unfolding in me that is "God's Dream" for my life.

My desire back in 2005 was to be like a child on Christmas, waiting in anticipation & being surprised by God. I am still there...How can I not be? Life can be hard, but God is so good, so I continue on the path set before me 'cause I don't want to miss a thing!

Be Blessed ~ Dardi

4 comments:

rrpr6 said...

Yes, Dardi - 2 Chronicles 16:9 - I understand! I remember people saying after Tyler "You FINALLY got your little boy!" (I thought "they just don't get it") BUT it then got worse.... it went to people who were thoroughly shocked when we adopted two more saying these exact words.... "You must be having the 'empty nest syndrome"... "I see you as the Old Woman in the Shoe"...."What are you thinking? When will you and Ron have time for each other?" Then a feeling of aloneness and "Are we crazy?" The Lord sees us through those times and we cling to Him and Him alone! YES, DARDI! It is evident...... "You don't want to miss a thing!!" I am glad and so are Kaya and Little Man ! They are blessed and so are you! "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope w/o wavering, for He who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23 Amen

Robinsons said...

Dont you just love those encouragements from the Lord!! They are like handwritten love letters to us! Can't wait to hang out. Can't wait to get our boys home!! Love ya Friend!!

Adeye said...

Oh I soooooo understand. We have come up against our own fair share of naysayers. Those who just don't GET IT! We've been disowned by some family members. It hurts. But hey, I would soooo much rather be in the center of HIS will, than in the center of the wills others have for our lives :) If it were to them, we'd be living the American dream--lots of money and 1.8 kids. That is so NOT going to work for us.

Yes, friend--He sure is in the business of signs and wonders TODAY! I love that the Father encouraged your sweet heart.

Kimmie said...

I think every day is filled with Wonder. I have had signs, but as a Believer and a walker of the Faith...I will never walk a day without carrying the Wonder from moment to moment.

Signs and Wonders, yes.
Naysayers, indeed.
The faithfulness and Mercy of a loving Father...always.

More Lord, more. And give us eyes to see.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted
*expecting again...from Ethiopia!