Friday, September 17, 2010

What's Your Story?

I had a very sweet moment the other day. I had to take Kaya to a doctor that we've never seen before to get a mole looked at. As this young, female doctor was gathering medical history stuff, the inevitable questions about our family came up. And, of course, the "Now, how many children do you have?" came as she started putting the pieces together.

I confess. I had myself prepared for the eyes bugging out, the "are you crazy?!", or "you must be a saint", etc. Instead, she got a big smile on her face, crossed her arms, leaned over in her chair, & said, "I would love to have coffee with you someday to hear your story".

Is that not the coolest response ever?? I mean, really. Think about what the world might look like if we all had that attitude about others' lives.

Yes, my passion is adoption. My passion is for my large family. My passion is being a stay-at-home mommy & supporting my husband as he works hard to do his job well & provide for our family. But the reason these are my passions is b/c these are the things God has set in my heart.

Just like we live in a beautiful world where people do not look the same, we also live in a beautiful world where many people step into a calling that becomes their passion.

I am blessed by many friends who share similar passions with me. However, I also know people who are called to ministry, to teach children, to home school, to work with those that have special needs. You get the idea...the list is long.

But have you ever caught yourself shaking your head at something someone is doing? I know I have. However, I do not want to get so caught up in what God's called me to that I forget that others have a different calling, & the stories behind those callings & passions are fascinating!!! They all point back to the One that has knit us together as unique individuals.

I pray that just as I seek & offer encouragement to like-minded friends that I would also look to encourage others who are trying each day to step into whatever they may be called to. I pray that I would be able to listen, b/c in the midst of each person's story is God's hand at work.

Wanna have coffee?

"May the God who gives endurance & encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart & mouth you may glorify the God & Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."
~Romans 15:5-7

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a great post! I love that God has gifted different ones of us with different passions to bless so many people!

Unknown said...

Love it! And I'm in awe of how God drops opportunities straight into our laps in order to share His gospel through the callings that He's placed on our lives.

Love you!

Laurel said...

Love it!

While people may look at me and think, "I could NEVER have a dozen children." I have looked at others and thought, "I could NEVER adopt a child with serious special needs." (And, then I adopted one with unknown special needs. Isn't that just how God works ... gives us what we thought we could NEVER handle.)

I want to purpose, now, to ask those with "different" stories and passions than mine, "Wanna have coffee?"

Thanks for sharing!

Be BLESSED!

Laurel :)

emariestar said...

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! =)

Alicia said...

I know you posted this days ago, but I want you to know that I think of it every time I pour a cup of coffee. And I drink A LOT of coffee! I hope to take more time to listen and learn from the amazing stories all around me.