Wednesday, November 7, 2012

thankful {day 7...politically speaking}

Anybody else happen to notice that there's reaction to last night's election...well, like, in your face if you choose to tune into any type of media?  Yikes...some of it (most) is downright ugly.  And hateful.

Honestly, it's taken me a lot of years to find a peaceful place where I realize that my HOPE is NOT in man.  I'm not just talking about the presidency, here.  I'm talking about being hired for jobs.  Being approved for something.  Being told I made the team.  The list goes on.

My husband & I have experienced our fair share of heartbreak, disappointment, & fear over the years.  I can remember moments of literal sobbing at the unfairness of it all.  I've thought the ugly thoughts about others involved.  I've felt the self-righteous feelings that come when you're just sure that you have been cheated & those people making the decisions are clueless.  So people, do not think for one minute this is me being self-righteous.  At. All.

This is me humbly acknowledging my past moments of not seeing God in the midst, but instead turning ugly towards others, hurling blame at their "stupidity".  It kind of reminds me of some of what I saw first thing on FB this morning.  I was so sad to see how nasty some people were.  I could see myself once upon a time (geez, maybe even recently...ouch). 

But looking back over the different seasons of confusion, I see God all over the place, & I am thankful.  I am thankful that God is God, & that sometimes His answers to prayers are "no".  It is hard to see from this angle.  But my hope is not in one man.  My hope is in Him.  I trust that His perspective is way better than the small window I am privy to.

So, people can keep hurling ugly at each other if they choose.

But I choose to trust God & know that there will never be someone that is able to please everyone b/c as humans, perfection is impossible.

I choose to acknowledge that the injustices of the world do not fall on one man's shoulders.

I choose to be constructive, not destructive.

I choose to look for ways I can use my gifts & passions to be an encouragement & make a difference.

I think the best thing I saw on FB this morning came from Kam's government teacher, Dr. Siracuse:

"Woke up just as blessed to be an American today as yesterday."

True dat.  I have seen what life is like in other countries, & I am thankful to live here.  And for the record in case you've read this whole thing trying to figure out where I stood in this election, I thought both candidates had positives to bring to the table as well as weaknesses.  Ultimately, I have prayed the Lord's will be done, & I will continue to look to Him for guidance on the things I can change in my own life to make this world a better place.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”  ~ Gandhi

2 comments:

Sharon said...

You rock.

Rebecca said...

I have purposely not watched the news and I'm not a Facebook follower, so I don't know what's being said between parties, but here's what came to my mind while reading your post today...
2 Timothy 2:14 "Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of hearers."
I also love Proverbs 21:1...
"The Kings heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes."
Such a beautiful promise. We have nothing to fear. God is in control.
Blessings,
Rebecca